These terms and conditions apply to all transactions carried out by Platinum Plates subject to the specific service provided as detailed below.
- Terms for buying registration plates
- All registration marks are sold subject to availability. Whilst Platinum Plates will check the availability of every registration mark before accepting any order, they shall not accept any responsibility if the Vendor has already sold the registration mark or if the donor of the registration mark has changed his or her mind in respect of selling.
- Payment of the sum referred to in clause 1.1 above in respect of the purchase price of the registration mark may be made either by debit, credit card or cheque. This part payment is deemed to be received when your credit or debit card payment has been authorised by our clearing bank or in the case of a cheque, when cleared funds reach our account. Certain registrations are subject to VAT and all registration marks are subject to the current assignment fee levied by the Department for Transport
- Upon receipt of the part payment of £200.00 or 10% of total purchase price, whichever is the greater sum, Platinum Plates will send to you an acceptance of the order together with details of the documents required. The signed and completed documents must be received together with the balance of the purchase price within 14 days in order for the transfer to commence. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that all the correct details are submitted or given to Platinum Plate’s representative on all documents and upon placing the order for the registration mark.
- Any full payment or part payment taken on a registration mark is non-returnable (unless the transfer of the registration mark cannot proceed due to the default of the donor) and a registration mark will be held for 14 days exactly from the date of the part payment being taken, pending receipt of balance of monies and the documentation required to complete the transfer.
- Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2014, Platinum Plates must notify you that the service we provide begins as soon as the registration mark is reserved on your behalf, we are giving you notice that you are waiving your right to a 7 day 'cooling off period', the transaction cannot be reversed or amended and no refund can be given. As soon as we receive your order the registration mark will be reserved on your behalf and we will immediately enter into binding agreements (and forward payments) on your behalf with the donor of the registration mark in order to begin the transfer process. Consequently, you will be under contract to settle in full by the due date. If you feel you have made an error and wish to change your mind, you will be liable for the full purchase price and your only remedy will be for you to instruct us to offer your registration mark for sale.
- In the event that the documentation is not received or the recipient vehicle is not made available within the 14 days specified above, Platinum Plates reserves the right to place the registration mark onto a retention certificate and the costs of doing so shall be borne by you. It will then be your responsibility to transfer the registration mark to a vehicle before the certificate expires whatever that date may be.
- If the registration mark is a new and unissued registration mark, you will only be the nominee named on the Certificate of Entitlement and so you will not be able to extend the duration of the certificate, apply for a duplicate or change the nominee name. You will need to instruct Platinum Plates to carry this out on your behalf for which there will be an administration charge of £25 plus VAT. Upon receipt of a cheque in the sum of £30.00 Platinum Plates will apply to make the appropriate application.
- The assignment fee and VAT are payable at the time of purchase and the registration mark must be assigned within 10 years of purchase to a vehicle in the name specified as the ‘grantee’ or ‘nominee’. If the registration mark is not assigned within this period, the right shall lapse and the purchase price shall not be refunded.
- Whilst every attempt is made to ensure the fastest possible transfer, Platinum Plates cannot guarantee any specific time period for the entire transfer. It is illegal to display the new registration mark before the transfer is complete. You must not have the new registration plates made up until the transfer has been approved and you have received confirmation you can display the new registration mark.
- In the event that Platinum Plates are unable to effect the transfer within 12 weeks from receipt of your complete documents, and provided you are not responsible for the failure, we will refund your monies in full. In no circumstances shall Platinum Plates be made responsible for any failed transfers or disappointments. Platinum Plates’ liability is strictly limited to a full refund of the purchase price paid only and no claims for damages; interest on monies paid or any other expenses shall be entertained
- Registration marks must be displayed correctly. To mis-space or mis-represent your letters and numbers in any way is an offence under The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. All registration marks sold by Platinum Plates are sold on the understanding that they will be displayed in accordance with these Regulations.
- It is the responsibility of the recipient vehicle owner to notify his/her motor insurance company of the change in vehicle registration mark. The recipient vehicle must also be available for Department for Transport inspection if required.
- A registration mark cannot be used to make a vehicle appear younger than it is. Before purchasing a registration mark it is your responsibility to ensure that the original date of registration of the recipient vehicle does not pre-date the registration mark being assigned.
- Our terms for selling your registration mark
- If you are selling a registration mark you shall instruct Platinum Plates to use its best endeavours to secure the sale of the registration mark. Platinum Plates will market the registration mark on your behalf and will handle all the paperwork involved in the Transfer, free of charge provided you comply with your obligations as set out in these Terms and Conditions.
- A valuation is provided as part of the selling service at no cost. The valuation indicates the net amount that will be paid to you upon the sale of the registration mark. Platinum Plates believe that the valuation of your registration mark is a realistic value in the current market conditions and will report to you all reasonable offers made in respect of your registration mark.
- The net value, which is shown on your valuation and selling consent form is the full amount that will be returned to you upon completion of the transfer to the buyer's vehicle or to a retention certificate (except where you authorise Platinum Plates to accept a lower offer resulting in a lower net value). Upon receipt of the signed selling consent form, Platinum Plates will undertake to market your registration mark for sale.
- You shall not be responsible for the Department for Transport transfer fee, although you will have to supply and fit a set of replacement number plates to the donor vehicle after transfer approval by the DVLA.
- Platinum Plates will undertake the legal transfer documentation on your behalf. You agree to supply any vehicle or registration mark documentation required, promptly by return of post, giving all necessary consents and signatures of authority as requested.
- You undertake to deliver any vehicle to which the registration mark is assigned for inspection by the DVLA at the specified time and location if and when requested to do so. This is to verify that the Chassis Number of the donor vehicle matches that shown on the V5 Registration Document.
- The payment agreed shall be payable to you immediately upon approval of the transfer by DVLA Swansea and when Platinum Plates receive copies of new registration documentation to your vehicle (if applicable). It is your responsibility to forward such documentary evidence to Platinum Plates in order to receive payment. Once you have received the monies in respect of the sale of the registration mark you will transfer all rights in respect of the registration mark to Platinum Plates and will not attempt to assert any rights over the registration mark.
- You can withdraw your registration mark from sale prior to Platinum Plates finding a buyer. You undertake to notify Platinum Plates in writing immediately in the event of withdrawal of the registration mark from sale.
- Once you are no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle or if it is destroyed or stolen, then the registration mark shall be deemed not available and must be withdrawn from sale immediately. You must notify Platinum Plates immediately if such circumstances arise.
- If you fail to advise Platinum Plates that the registration mark is no longer available then you will indemnify Platinum Plates against any action involved in Platinum Plates advertising the number when it is not available. In the event that Platinum Plates have obtained the interest of a potential buyer for the registration mark and you have failed to inform Platinum Plates that the registration mark is no longer available or for sale, you will be liable to Platinum Plates for an administration fee of £150 or 10% of the agreed return value, whichever the greater.
- No responsibility can be accepted for losses, howsoever caused, or for delays caused through the potential buyer delaying the forwarding of his/her documents or for the inability of the potential buyer to conclude the transaction by recorded delivery post.
- No specific time period can be guaranteed for a buyer to be found or the Department for Transport to conduct the transfer, as such circumstances are beyond the control of Platinum Plates. Neither can any responsibility be accepted for any changes of Department for Transport transfer rules.
- A buyer shall only be deemed to have been found once a part payment has been received by Platinum Plates from that buyer.
- The donor vehicle must be both taxed or sorn continuously for the last 5 years and be of a testable type, subject to MOT/GVT, in order to qualify for the transfer process.
- You shall be, either; the person that is the registered keeper of the vehicle to which the registration is currently assigned, the named purchaser on the Certificate of Entitlement, or the grantee named on the retention certificate.
- It is your responsibility to notify Platinum Plates of any changes in circumstances in relation to the ownership of the vehicle to which the registration is assigned and this notification must in all cases be given within 14 days from change of ownership and in writing.
- The donor vehicle must be available for Department for Transport inspection if required. It is your responsibility to ensure that the registration mark is available for transfer in accordance with the requirements of the DVLA 'Cherished Transfer Scheme'.
- You undertake that once the transfer has been completed you will not assert any rights over the registration mark either by placing the registration mark on retention or by displaying it on a vehicle. You will indemnify Platinum Plates against any liability arising from a breach of such undertaking.
- Instructing Platinum Plates as your agent at Auctions
- If you instruct Platinum Plates to act as your agent at a DVLA Auction in the purchase of a registration mark, you will notify Platinum Plates of your maximum purchase price.
- To enable Platinum Plates to act on your behalf as set out in clause 3.1 above, you will enter into a Power of Attorney appointing Platinum Plates to act of your Attorney.
- When calculating your maximum purchase you will need to take into account VAT, the auctioneer’s premium (currently 8%) plus VAT, Platinum Plates Success Fee and the Assignment Fee (currently £80). For example, if the hammer price was £1,000, the price payable would be as follows:-
|Our Success Fee||£100.00|
|VAT on Auctioneer’s Premium||£16.00|
|Total Maximum Purchase Price||£1,496.00|
- You will enter into a power of attorney authorising Platinum Plates to act as your agent and attorney in respect of the purchase of the registration mark at auction.
- You will forward to Platinum Plates a part payment representing a sum equal to 20% of your total maximum purchase price together with a completed Nominee Form at least 7 days prior to the date of the auction. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that all the correct details are submitted on the Nominee Form.
- Upon a successful purchase of the registration mark, payment of the balance of the purchase monies in respect of the registration mark shall be payable within 7 days of the date of the auction.
- You will comply with the requirements set out in the Terms for Buying a Registration Mark in respect of the production of details of the recipient vehicle.
- Platinum Plates will use its reasonable endeavours to secure the purchase of the selected registration mark. However, if Platinum Plates have been unsuccessful in purchasing the registration mark on your behalf, they will return to you the sum paid in accordance with clause 3.5 above within 7 days of the auction. Platinum Plates will not be liable for any losses caused as a result of its failure for whatever reason to purchase the registration mark.COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE - Our firm is a Member of the Institute of Registration Agents and Dealers, and is governed by their strict rules and regulations. In the unlikely event that a problem cannot be resolved in-house, you can request arbitration, in writing, from the The Secretary, MIRAD, PO Box 333, Southport, PR9 7GW.
- These Terms and Conditions do not affect your statutory rights.
- If any term, provision, covenant or condition of this agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, void or unenforceable, the remaining provisions of this agreement shall remain in full force and effect and shall not be affected, impaired or invalidated.
- These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the parties in respect of the purchase.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and constructed in accordance with English Law each party thereto submits to the jurisdiction of the English Courts